Conversion of the iron and steel district
Iron and steel working is the most representative industry in terms of turnover and employees of the Piombino areas economy.
In December 2012, the leading company in the industry, Lucchini SpA, after a period of economic and financial difficulty, went under extraordinary administration with the aim of reviving its business activity.
Lucchinis crisis compromised the balance of the areas whole socio-economic system and, in 2013, Piombinos Local Labour System was deemed a complex industrial crisis area.
In 2014, the Italian government, the Tuscany Region and other local authorities shared a strategy for environmental restoration and redevelopment of Piombinos iron and steel district (Programme Agreement of 24 April 2014).
- to convert the iron and steel working site
- to remediate the area from an environmental point of view and to improve its infrastructure
- to boost the areas production capacity
- to facilitate the reintroduction of staff laid off from the iron and steel industry
In December 2014, the Cevital group put forward a proposal to purchase the Lucchini site in Piombino, whereby the procedure was opened up for the industrial reconversion of the iron and steel complex, to remediate the area, and improve its infrastructure.
Invitalia, including through its subsidiary Invitalia Attività Produttive, is the project implementer of the environmental restoration.
The strategy to boost the areas production capacity and reintroduce the workers laid off from the iron and steel industry has been made operational through the Conversion and Industrial Redevelopment Project adopted with the Programme Agreement of 7 May 2015 signed by the Italian government, the Tuscany Region and other local authorities.
Invitalia drew up the Conversion and Industrial Redevelopment Project (PRRI). It is the Project implementer, supporting the Coordination and Supervision Group of the Agreement in the governance, supervision and monitoring of the activities and results.
- Incentives for production investment and research: A total of 52.2 million euro is available. 20 million euro has been allocated by the Italian government (incentives governed by Law 181/89) and 32.2 million euro by the Tuscany Region.
- Active labour policies: Active labour policies aimed at promoting employment in the crisis area and making the conditions more attractive for new investments. There is 1.2 million euro available.
A total of 53.4 million euro is available.
For information, Invitalia has a dedicated e-mail address: email@example.com